Friday 15 June 2012

Backseat Nomming

One of our regular customers (featured in a previous post) comes in almost every weekend, usually on a Saturday, and has done for probably the past five years or more. He tends to look around at the birds we have, ask a few questions, and occasionally buy some seed or perhaps a budgie. Then off he goes.

Until a few months ago I assumed that he just went home, but then I started to notice that his car would remain outside the shop for quite some time. Taking a little peek out of the window, I couldn't see him sitting in the driver's seat so wondered where he'd gone. Unfortunately, any further detective work was halted by other customers.

A week later he was back, and the same thing happened: he left the building, but the car remained. By chance, another customer required some help with carrying sacks to his car, so I was able to go outside into the car park. The chap was walking around his car with a carrier-bag, and looking in his car-boot. As I returned, he was opening all the doors. 

Over the course of the next two or three weeks, I managed to discover his ritual:

He would visit us, make any require purchase, then go back outside. He'd then open up all the doors of the car, take a carrier bag out of his boot, close all the doors again, and then get back into the car... but in the back seat. He'd then sit there alone in the car, in the back, reach into the carrier bag for a sandwich, and then  sit there eating it... for about three quarters of an hour.

And that's what he does pretty much every week. It shouldn't bother me at all really. I mean, it's not causing any problem or harm to anybody else. But there's something a little odd about the fact that he gets in the back to eat it.

There has been one week, and one week only, when this little ritual altered. He left the shop, got in his car, and left. My colleague and I were astonished and could only assume that he'd forgotten his sandwich. About ten minutes later I had to take a short drive up the road and, as I passed a layby just around the corner from the shop, I saw the customer's car parked there. Sure enough, he was sitting in the back eating his sandwich.

Maybe he just wanted a change of scenery?

No comments:

Post a Comment