Sunday 3 June 2012

I Think We Know

About four years ago we moved business to our present location. We only moved about half a mile, but it was both a necessary and positive move. The building we now occupy had been empty for approximately five years and, prior to its desertion, used to be a farm shop. Many of our customers have lived in the area for quite some time and occasionally comment that they, "remember when you could come here for sacks of potatoes!". A select few have trouble pinpointing when this was though:

"This used to be a farm shop, didn't it?"
- Yes, that's right. It closed a while back, there is another one around the corner now though.
"Can't have been gone for very long."
- Well, we've been four years.
"I don't think so."
- Um, yes. Our lease was renewed recently so we've been here four years now.
"No, can't be."
- Well, er, it is.
"I only came here last year and got myself some apples."
- It was probably the other shop, just up the road. That's been there a while now.
"No, it was definitely here. Did you used to sell apples as well?"
- No, just pet food. There hasn't been a farm shop here for a while.
"Four years you say?"
- Yeah, we've been here four years.
"I guess it could have been four years since I was last here. Doesn't seem that long."
- Well, actually, this building hasn't been a farm shop for more like eight years.
"Yes it has. Four years ago, maybe, but I've definitely been here in the last eight years."
- Well, I only moved here permanently about eight years ago. And it was an empty building when I moved here. I believe it closed down not long before I got here.
"I think you've got your dates mixed up. In fact, now I think about it, I'm certain I was here last year. You must be mistaken."

Yes. That's right. I'm mistaken. I guess I better ask the landlord to return the previous three year's rent we've been paying, considering we apparently weren't even using the building...

No comments:

Post a Comment