Friday 27 April 2012

Security

So, the Chip & Pin system was introduced to increase security on physical debit/credit card transactions. Excellent. I'm sure it works and has successfully reduced fraud. Hurrah. However, there are some people out there who really seem to be doing their best to put themselves at risk:

:::::::

- Okay, if you just pop your card in the slot there. And now, if you'd like to enter your PIN please.
"7253"
- Sorry?
"7253. My pin is 7253. Can you type it in for me?"
- ...

Declaring your PIN number when standing at the front of a queue is probably not classed as 'secure'.

:::::::

- Okay, if you just pop your card in the slot there. And now, if you'd like to enter your PIN please.
"Oh dammit. Sorry. Can I take the card back out?"
- Yeah sure. Is it the wrong card?
"No no. I can't remember my PIN."
- Oh okay. Do you have another card, or cash?
"No, it's okay. I've written the PIN in Tippex on the bottom of the card. I just need to check it."
- ...

Writing your PIN on the card probably isn't especially secure either.

:::::::

Then there's the hundreds of other people that keep their PINs written down on a piece of card, in their wallet or purse, next to the cards themselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment