Friday 27 April 2012

Work Experience Tales 1

We've provided a placement for students to do work experience with us most years. We've had a mix of people and definitely a mix of personalities, and fortunately we've never had anybody that's been any real 'problem' or 'trouble'. But there's occasionally some interesting events.

One particular student was asked to feed the birds that were kept in some private avaries at the back of the shop. He had taken care of these birds before with no problem, but this time he seemed to be gone for quite a while. Often the work experience students will drag a job out a little, or be texting on their phones, so I just figured he was procrastinating.

Anyway, I didn't have long to consider the reason because the phone rang.

"Is that the pet shop in [village]?"
- Yes, it is.
"Okay, thanks, bye."

A weird phonecall, sure, but we've had weirder. Less than a minute later, it rang again.

"Hi. It's Kris." (the student)
- Uh, hi. Why are you ringing...
"I'm stuck in the aviary, I can't get out."

I walked out the back to see what had happened, imagining that somehow there had been some huge collapse of wood preventing his escape.

There hadn't.

- Were you 'stuck' for long?
"Yeah... Quite a while..."
- Why didn't you call sooner?
"Well. I got stuck and shouted for a while but nobody came. Then I tried to kick the door in and..."
- You tried to kick the door in?
"...Um... No? I mean, I just tried to open it."
- Right
"But it wouldn't. So I thought I'd call you. But I don't have the number. So I called my mum to look it up, but we couldn't remember the name of the shop. So mum called all the shops in the directory until she found the right one. Then she called me back with your number, so I called you. I'm stuck, see?"
- Why didn't you just turn the latch from the inside?
"Oh..."

No comments:

Post a Comment